The best indoor wood burning furnace is the most important thing required in winters to keep your home warm and cozy. Indoor wood furnaces are efficient because of their sturdy components and those include;
- Catalytic combustor
- Air vents
- Air vents control
- Flue collar
- Stove pipe
- Ash pan
There are some important factors to consider before buying the best indoor wood burning furnace. These factors include size, type, efficiency, EPA certification, nature, easier installation, ignition mode, heat capacity, heat output, durability, firebox, vents, doors, ash pans, and catalytic combustor.
For your feasibility, we have assembled a list of the top 6 best indoor wood burning furnace considering the above-mentioned factors.
A Buying Guide To The Best Indoor Wood Burning Furnace
To buy the best indoor wood burning furnace, there are some important factors to consider. Comparing these crucial factors, you can make a splendid choice, and so these factors include;
- Nature (Catalytic or Non-Catalytic)
- Ignition mode
- Heat capacity
So, let’s get to the details.
- For higher heat outputs, it is recommended to go for a wood furnace with a 4 or 5 cubic feet huge firebox.
- If you are using your wooden furnace as a space heater, for heating an area up to 1,500 square feet, go for a firebox of around 1.5 to 2 cubic feet. The firebox of this size has a maximum output of around 50.000 BTU/hour.
- For heating, a larger space of around 2,500 sq.ft., the recommended size of a firebox is 2 to 2.5 cubic feet. The maximum heat output for this size is 70,000 BTU/ hour.
How To Calculate The Size Of A Wood Burner?
- You can calculate the space area of a room by multiplying length, width, and height.
- Divide the answer by 14 to know the kW output.
- For small log burners, the value of kW is between 4 and 6 kW.
- The medium-sized burner has a value of kW around 7 and 9 kW.
- You will need a large wood burner if the figure ranges between 10kW to 15kW.
The wood burning stoves have two sorts of nature including;
- Catalytic wood stove
- Non-catalytic wood stove
Catalytic Wood Stove
A catalytic wood stove comes with a catalytic combustor and it works in re-burning the gases and particles that are being released from the burned woods. These gases pass through the combustor and make the system efficient and allow longer burning periods. This type of wooden stoves is poorly made and can get inefficient after a few seasons of use.
This type of wooden stoves does not possess any catalyst. There are three basic characteristics creating a wonderful opportunity for complete combustion. A non-catalytic insulated firebox produces a longer and hotter path of gas flow. Non-catalytic wood burning stoves possess pre-heated combusted air that is introduced through smaller holes in the firebox.
How Do You Use A Non-Catalytic Wood Stove?
The following video demonstration will help you in better understanding:
- Manual ignition is used in many wood stoves. For a clean, airy residence, the ventilation system is connected via a chimney.
- Unlike gas or electrical furnaces, which can be turned on with a switch, the wood furnace will require some effort to start.
- The length of time wood is exposed to heat influences its ignition temperature.
- At 250–300 degrees Celsius, wood generally ignites.
- The wood carbonizes at a rate of 0.8 mm per minute after ignition.
- Wooden furnaces are simple to install since they do not require a gas or electricity connection to function, but you must consider some criteria such as the environment in which you want to place the furnace.
- Wood-burning furnace installation costs also include the supplies and fuel required for the furnace to function.
- Most of the wood burning furnaces possess a heat capacity ranging from 375 to 650 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can check a wood furnace temperature by using a special thermometer made for it.
- Moreover, at the optimal temperature of a wood stove, the woods do not produce any residue like smoke, carbon dioxide, and creosote.
Why Does Wood Have A High Heat Capacity?
It takes more heat energy to heat woods because they possess more heat capacity as compared to metals. The specific heat capacity of wood is 1.76 and the metal having the highest heat capacity (copper) is 0.386. In conclusion, a piece of wood takes more time to get heated and there are lesser chances for you to burn your hand while touching it.
What Is The Heating Value Of Wood?
One pound of any hardwood has a heating value of around 8,600 BTU. Whereas, any softwood possesses a heating value of around 9,050 BTU per pound.
To know the difference between hardwood and softwood, the following video will help you:
What Is The Temperature Of Combustion For Wood?
Different woods have different temperatures of combustion. Most of the woods burn at 300 degrees Celsius. When gases burn, they increase the temperature of woods by around 600 degrees Celsius. After all the gases being released from the wood, it leaves the residue of ashes and charcoal.
- Nowadays wood burning stoves are made of aluminized steel, stainless steel, aluminum, copper, brass, and fiberglass.
- Aluminized steel makes up the framework, burners, and blowers.
- Stainless steel is used in the construction of the heat exchangers and these make the furnace corrosion resistant.
- In a wood furnace, valves are made of brass.
- Lastly, electrical wiring is done with copper.
- The durability of a wood burning stove can be determined by the time it can work.
- A good quality wood burning oven should last up to 10 to 20 years.
- If you want your furnaces to work for decades, then make sure for enhancing you clean them regularly.
- Specifically, when the ash is accumulated for 2 to 3 inches.
- For increasing the efficiency of your furnace, use air freshener kits or air filters.
Top 6 Best Indoor Wood Burning Furnace
Choosing the best indoor wood burning furnace can be pretty hard. So, to ease it, you need to consider some crucial factors including size, nature, ignition mode, installation, heat capacity and output, buildup material, maintenance and cleaning, and durability. Comparing these factors will lead you towards the best purchase so far.
|Drolet Escape 2100 DB03129 |
Weighs 498 pounds
9 x 28.1 x 34.5 inches
110,000 BTU per hour
|Drolet Escape 1500 DB03137 |
Weighs 360 pounds
23 x 28 x 22 inches
|Drolet Blackbomb II DB02811|
Weighs 325 pounds
25 x 25 x 31 inches
|Ashley Hearth AW3200E-P|
Weighs 373 pounds
39 x 24 x 32.5 inches
|US1269E US Stove|
Weighs 128.7 pounds
33 x 22.2 x 25.8 inches
|Ashley Hearth AW1120E-P|
Weighs 249 pounds
21 x 22.5 x 31.7 inches
1. Drolet Escape 2100 DB03129 Extra Large Wood Stove- Best Indoor Wood Boiler
- Weighs 498 pounds
- 9 x 28.1 x 34.5 inches
- Heat area up to 2,700 feet per square
- 110,000 BTU per hour
- Non-catalytic unit
- 32 g/h particle emission
- EPA 2020 approved
- 22 inches max log length
- 10 hours maximum burning time
If you live in a large house, then heating it up can be a little hard for you. That is why our first best indoor wood boiler is Drolet Escape 2100 DB03129. This furnace weighs around 498 pounds and the heating area range is about 2,700 feet per square. When it comes to the heating capacity of this unit, it is 110,000 BTU per hour (32.2 kW). The firebox of this woof furnace is also huge as it is about 3.5 cubic feet.
The safety of such units is the foremost priority and as you know, Drolet Escape DB03129 is EPA 2020 approved. This best indoor wood burning stove is basically certified for mobile homes and offers alcove installation. When it comes to the maximum burn time, this is 10 hours. The average particulate emission rate of this unit is 1.32g/ hour. Also, you will a limited lifetime warranty with this in-home furnace.
- Beautiful design
- Huge ash pan
- Easy to install
- Longer burning time
- Heats quickly
- Could not find any cons
2. Drolet Escape 1500 DB03137 Indoor Furnace- Indoor Wood Furnaces
- Weighs 360 pounds
- 23 x 28 x 22 inches
- 65,000 BTU/h max heat output
- Heat up to 1,800 sq.ft.
- EPA 2020 approved
- 26 g/h particular emission
- 9 firebox volume
- 6 hours maximum burning time
- Limited lifetime warranty
This EPA-certified wood stove produces 65000 BTUs per hour when used effectively. The furnace is composed of high-quality metal with a firebrick lining to distribute heat uniformly and protect the metal from the elements. The stove emits just 1.26 grams of carbon dioxide per hour, which is much less than any other wood stoves. This high efficiency wood burning furnace makes cleaning and maintaining this wood stove a breeze.
This regular wood stove also features a 29″ x 44″ black faceplate and a superior blower for excellent performance. The glass window and air wash system are likewise standard, although they perform really well. A huge ash drawer makes cleaning the wood stove a breeze.
- High-quality buildup
- Lesser emission of carbon dioxide
- Excellent performance
- Huge ash drawer
- No cons
3. Drolet Blackbomb II DB02811 Wood Stove- High Efficiency Indoor Wood Furnace
- Weighs 325 pounds
- 25 x 25 x 31 inches
- 65,000 BTU/h max heat output
- 18 inches maximum log length
- 500 to 1,800 heating area ft. sq.
- EPA 2020 approved
- 9 firebox volume
- 6 hours of max burning
- Alcove installation
- Limited lifetime warranty
This greatest wood furnace is ideal for use in alcoves and mobile homes. This finest indoor wood burning furnace is built to last with high-quality vermiculite and side panels. When it comes to safety, this unit is EPA 2020 approved. With a huge firebox of 1.9 cubic meters, this wood furnace will heat your place in no time.
It included a glass pane in the stove’s door. This indoor wood burning furnace also includes an ash drawer for simple ash disposal. The forced air indoor wood furnace requires 16 to 18 inches long hardwood logs. The stove has a 6-hour burn period, which is quite efficient given how little effort they require refueling it.
- Beautiful design
- Sturdy buildup
- Good heat capacity
- Decent heating range
4. Ashley Hearth AW3200E-P Wood Burning Stove- Wood-Burning Furnaces
- Weighs 373 pounds
- 39 x 24 x 32.5 inches
- 152,000 BTU/h max heat output
- Heats to 3,200 sq.ft.
- 3/16 inches heavy gauge
- 18 to 22 inches logs length
- Holds up to 30 pounds
- 100 CFM adjustable speed
- Sturdy pedestal base
- Door handle of brushed nickel
- EPA 2020 certified
Ashley Hearth has always been amazing when it comes to wood-burning furnaces. So, for this unit, it is amazing. It weighs only 373 pounds and when it comes to size, this furnace is 39 x 24 x 32.5 inches. The Ashley Hearth AW3200E-P heats a large space of around 3,200 square feet. However, the maximum heat output of this machine is also not less but 152,000 BTU per hour.
When it comes to the capacity of this unit, it holds up around 30 pounds. With the controllable thermostat, you can easily adjust the heat speed. AW3200E-P offers 100 CFM adjustable speed. To ensure its quality construction, this unit comes with a strong pedestal base. Last but not least, this unit by Ashley Hearth is also EPA 2020 Certified.
- Easier installation
- Heats up the entire house quickly
- Great buildup
- Value for the money
- More fans circulation would be appreciated
5. US1269E US Stove Wood Burning Stove- Best Indoor Wood Burning Furnace
- Weighs 128.7 pounds
- 33 x 22.2 x 25.8 inches
- 54,000 BTU/h max heat output
- Heats up to 900 sq. ft.
- 2 pieces safety handle
- Heavy-duty buildup
- Integrated 6.25 inches cooking surface
- Classical design
- Equipped with modern technology
With a fuel efficiency of 54,000 BTUs per hour, this finest add-on wood furnace can heat a big area of up to 900 square feet. Plate steel is used to construct this medium-sized finest indoor wood furnace. The glass door of this indoor wood burning stove is long, arched, and attractive. The window glass is kept clean for viewing by an in-built air wash system, which ensures that no smoke covers the glass.
The indoor wood furnace forced air stove also has a silent blower that operates at high efficiency. This medium-sized stand-alone wood stove is 33 x 22.2 x 25.8 inches. Also, it shortens the time it takes to fill the gasoline tank and extends the time it takes to burn the gasoline.
- Heats well
- Integrated cooking surface
- Classical design
- A bit expensive
6. Ashley Hearth AW1120E-P Wood Furnace- Best Indoor Wood Burning Stove
- Weighs 249 pounds
- 21 x 22.5 x 31.7 inches
- 68,000 BTU/h max heat output
- Heat up to 1,200 sq.ft.
- Logs up to 18 inches in length
- Easy to clean
- Large ash pan
- Handle of brush nickel
- Decent look
Last but not least, we have another product from Ashley Hearth because of its reliability. This unit from Ashley Hearth weighs around 249 pounds and the size is about 21 x 22.5 x 31.7 inches. Ashley Hearth AW1120E-P heats an area up to 1,200 square feet. When it comes to the maximum heat output, know that it is around 68,000 BTU per hour.
The length of the log is decent i.e., 18 inches. The maintenance and cleaning of any wood furnace are very important and essential for its longevity. So, this unit is easy to clean. Also, it has a large ash pan and regarding looks; it is decent. The handle is made of brushed nickel. So, it totally values the money.
- 10 hours of burning
- Powerful heating capacity
- Easy to operate
- Decent look
Considering your comfort as our foremost priority, we have introduced a list of the best indoor wood burning furnace. All of these products are chosen considering durability, the value of money, maintenance, buildup material and construction, size, easier installation, heat capacity, ignition mode, high quality, nature and type, and framework. In our recommendation, the best indoor wood burning furnace is Drolet Escape 2100 DB03129 Extra Large Wood Stove. We have chosen this product because of its high-quality buildup, easier installation, longevity, decent price, and good temperature range.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most efficient wood burning furnace?
The most efficient wood burning furnace is the one offering easier installation, durability, and longevity, size of room and furnace, heat capacity and output, sturdy and strong construction, and price range. For a decent wood burning stove, the nature of a stove is also significant that includes a catalytic or non-catalytic combustor.
Considering these crucial features, the best indoor wood boiler is Drolet Escape 2100 DB03129 Extra Large Wood Stove as it is highly efficient and durable.
Is a wood burning furnace worth it?
Yes, a wood burning furnace totally worth it. If you plan to buy an indoor wood furnace, it works efficiently up to 70 to 80%. Whereas, an outdoor wood burning stove works productively up to 50 to 60%. So, it is recommended to go for an indoor furnace as it produces a less amount of smoke.
Can you use a wood furnace without electricity?
No, you do not need electricity to operate a wood stove. It is a remarkable backup heating source. These advanced EPA-approved wood stoves are very efficient and higher buildup.
Are wood burning furnaces safe?
Fine particle pollution, carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds, nitrogen oxides, and hazardous air pollutants such as benzene and formaldehyde are all present in the smoke from wood-burning equipment such as stoves and heaters.
Which heating system is best for a house?
Geothermal heating systems are the most energy-efficient. They can save you up to 70% on your heating expenditures. They are also incredibly safe and ecologically pleasant to use, much like other forms of heat pumps.
What is an add-on furnace and how it can be installed?
An add-on furnace is a terrific method to keep your home warm while also saving money on electricity. The best add-on wood furnace is utilized in conjunction with your home’s current furnace system and runs on low-cost fuels such as wood and coal. Add-on furnaces not only help you save money on energy, but they also provide a backup source of heat if your gas or electric furnaces fail.
Stand-alone or add-on furnaces are available for most add-on furnaces. They are connected to the home’s air distribution system and can take cold air returns in most cases. Make sure you follow the installation instructions and adhere to all clearances. A concrete slab and insulated ductwork are also required for outdoor furnaces.
The following video demonstration will help you in better understanding the installation of an add-on furnace:
For More Related Articles: bariway.com